They found the toy ball was blocking the lowest portion of the small intestine. Pediatricians involved in this case wanted to find out how quickly and how much the superabsorbent ball could grow, since the material is increasingly being used in gardening products and in other household items. Growing toys are toys that expands in water as they are made up of a material that absorbs so much water that they increase their size as much as 300% or more. Another child had surgery to remove a now recalled water-absorbing ball that could grow to the size of a racquetball. The balls grew at their quickest rate during the first 12 hours of being dropped into water. The non-toxic water beads are called jelly beads, water orbs, hydro orbs, polymer beads and gel beads. Sept. 17, 2012 -- Toy balls that expand in water can be fun and fascinating for kids to watch, but if swallowed they can be downright dangerous. If your child is experiencing abdominal pain, nausea or vomiting after you discover mold in their sippy cup, Siddiqui suggests checking in with their doctor. But pediatricians say that expandable toys and products made from water-absorbent materials are different, and their increasing size can become hazardous to children if they swallow them. Very disgusting and this isn't even a sippy that's been used a lot. or placed water beads into their ears, seek treatment right away. First Reported Case Reveals the Dangers of Children Swallowing Expandable Water Toy. We connect families with caregivers and caring companies to help you be there for the ones you love. Ireland, Poland, Cyprus, Lithuania, Hungary and the United Kingdom have recalled the Magic Grow Reptile and Dinosaur Eggs Wild World due to a choking risk. Care.com® HomePaySM is a service provided by Breedlove and Associates, LLC, a Care.com company. “These particular objects can grow bigger as they pass through the intestines, ultimately But surprisingly the toy had remained completely intact -- unaffected by the digestive process. Doctors finally discovered the problem after the beads had expanded and had to be removed surgically.
“Leaving food particles in the cup will encourage mold growth and make cleaning more difficult later,” says Sardar. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here. “It’s an antiquated practice that can hurt your child’s throat.”. So mold happens, but is this common fungus dangerous to your little one? Water-absorbing gel beads sold as children's toys and used in vases and gardens are a growing problem among young children. There are 78 suppliers who sells grow expand water toys on Alibaba.com, mainly located in Asia. We have many sippy cups and I take them apart and clean them after each use however the way these cups have been made it... Just found CHUNKS of mold in our sippy cups! 95 Zamora, I, Pediatrics, published online Sept. 17, 2012. All rights reserved. When the tiny hard plastic balls are placed in water, they can grow up to 200 times their size. Grow In Water Toys Party Favor Set -- 48 Animal Capsule Creatures (Includes Zoo Animals, Sea Animals, Dinosaurs and Farm Animals) 4.2 out of 5 stars 323. So they tested the toy balls by placing them in water and then measuring their size hours and days later. How Long Does Coronavirus Live On Surfaces? Signs that swallowed beads are causing a blockage may include refusing to eat, drooling, The beads expanded In February, the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) was notified about the symptoms. Strides in absorption performance have allowed the development of the ultra-thin baby diaper which uses a fraction of the materials – particularly fluff pulp – that earlier disposable diapers consumed.